Wednesday 3 February 2016

The spice of (Highland) life . . . a ta-dah !



A little while ago . . . ok, I admit it was actually last year . . . around September-time I think, I decided to join in with the lovely Cherry Heart 'Spice of Life' CAL - and as usual when it comes to me and a CAL or a KAL, I always start off with great gusto and a determination to keep up.  But somehow life has other plans and nine times out of ten, by the time the "Along" is half-way through, I've already fallen behind schedule.  
But this time I decided almost right from the beginning that my Spice of Life blankie would be a slow project.  




And so it was that it lived in my WIP basket at the side of the sofa waiting patiently for me to pick it up whenever an opportunity presented itself.  As a result, I really loved making it and am delighted with the end result.

I used a mix of Drops Nepal & Alaska yarns which were so lovely to work with, and the colours I chose are inspired by the beautiful highlands of Scotland - the land of my birth, and one of my most favourite places in the world.




Think deep blue lochs, pretty purple heather, mauve thistles, endless shades of green, natural bracken, skies that change from blue to grey with the seasons, and even those funny, furry highland 'coos' . . .
 

So there you have it  -  

Ta-Dah . . .




my Spice of (Highland) Life blankie 

 -  and that's another WIP ticked off my List. 
 YAY 
 : - )

Hope you're having a happy week,

'til next time,
xoxo


ps.  I didn't quite stick to the exact pattern, mostly because I really just can't resist a scalloped edge  !


Linking up with the weekly Yarn Along over at Small Things today - do pop over and see what everyone else is up to.







28 comments:

  1. it's so beautiful, gorgeous colors!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it! Gorgeous colors and I can totally see the colors in it come from Scotland! And I do love those Highland cattle! I"m the same when it comes to KAL's. I'm just finishing a cowl that everyone else finished about 9 months ago.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just love that blanket. I love the colors and I love the stitches. Congrats on finishing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm always a little late getting things completed. Turned out wonderfully.
    xx Beca

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful blanket! I just love your colors. Found 2 long lost WIP's cleaning out my closet last week. It would feel good to finish them up :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just beautiful. I love the colors, they're all my favorites in one blanket. I made one a few years ago with similar colors that I named Thistles and Lavender. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh! I adore your choice of colours! The purple and green together are gorgeous! I did this CAL, too, and used a variety of bright and boyish colours for my son. I managed to stay caught up and had my blanket complete right on schedule. That is the first time that has every happened for me!! No worries about yours taking a long time. you enjoyed the process I am sure!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks great. I love the colours some of my favourite. I have only ever done one CAL but got miles behind and it is still in the WIP pile.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great idea to compile a mood board for inspiration. I might do that before my next blanket.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Stunning!!! You are right, such perfect highland heathery colours. Just beautiful!!! So glad that you love it too! xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the colours you chose for your blanket. It's beautiful, I like it much more than the original!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such a beautiful colour combination reminding me of the Highlands just as you intended, a stunning blanket.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your spice of life blanket is a masterpiece. The patterns are glorious and those wonderful shades do evoke a lovely feeling of those Scottish highlands in your photos.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's absolutely gorgeous, Gilly. You forgot to mention "rain" in your list of Scottish things! :oD

    ReplyDelete
  15. Absolutely STUNNING.Love your gorgeous doggy too,where was the other one though lol.Hugs xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. It turned out great! I love it! And, I totally understand....I have a hard time resisting a scalloped edge too. It's such a nice finishing touch.

    ReplyDelete
  17. That is a lovely colour combination, when I see blankets like this it makes me want to learn to crochet!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow, lovely to see it finished, love those colours! Recognize the coos on the beach too .

    ReplyDelete
  19. That looks beautiful, I love the colors. Hope it will keep you nice and warm.

    ReplyDelete
  20. It was the colours of your blanket that caught me eye, I immediately thought of the Highlands. Scotland is my favourite place in the whole world, we holiday there ever year is we can but it's our dream to move there. It really is a beautifully crocheted blanket and it looks so cosy. Creative Blessings, Tracy x

    ReplyDelete
  21. Yay, you have done well to finish it. It is truly beautiful. Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your blanket is gorgeous and very Scottish indeed. Love it. x

    ReplyDelete
  23. The blanket is so beautiful, I love the colors you chose, so inspiring.
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  24. Your blanket is beautiful Gilly.

    ReplyDelete
  25. It's beautiful. I love the colour scheme. I pinned the pattern but knewbi'd never keep up with the CAL

    ReplyDelete
  26. Mm I love the colour combinations! I'm irish and often think of Scotland as like Ireland, but with browner tones instead of green. I love how you've picked out the shades. I'm knitting with Nepal at the moment, it's definitely one of my favourites.

    ReplyDelete

Thank for popping by & saying hello!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...