Wednesday 14 October 2015

knit, purl, pray . . .





"The knitter knows that time spent creating something beautiful and uselful can also be a time to be quiet and reflect. "  - knit, purl, pray



It's really quite exciting when someone you know is an actual published author, 
don't you think ?
It was a few months ago that my lovely friend Lisa told me she had another book coming out, so when knit, purl, pray dropped through the mail box last week, I couldn't wait to open it.

It's the perfect accompaniment to those reflective days when you just need to take time out from the busy-ness of a day to sit and be . . . and knit.  Or crochet, or weave, or spin . . .

The book is divided into short sections that you can dip in & out of it, and chapter titles like Lessons from my Knit Bag and I Speak Knittish made me smile.  
To know Lisa, is to love her  -  seriously, she's sweet, kind & funny,  and has the most infectious laugh  -  and her loveliness shines through in her writing.

It's not just for knitters of course, crocheters and other creative souls will enjoy it too.  There's even a chapter called Comfort for the Furry - I'll need to read that one to Ben & Jerry sometime ; - ) 




And in my yarn basket this week ?  I'm loving being a part of the Spice of Life Blanket CAL.  Apparently there are about 5000 of us from all over the world taking part.  Wow . . . that's a whole lot of pretty yarns being used . . .




I'm linking up today with Ginny's weekly Yarn Along at Small Things - do pop over & have a little peek at what everyone else has on their hooks & needles too.

http://www.gsheller.com/2015/10/yarn-along-249.html


'til next time,
xoxo


16 comments:

  1. The only way that picture of the yarn and knitted blanket could be any more perfect would be to have a lab sitting on it - and you did just that! Absolutely adorable. I love seeing everyone work on those blankets.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely basket of wooly goodness : ) The book sounds like a good one

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now that is a picture to behold, crochet, a basket, a dog, a good book on a knitted blanket. It doesn't get any better than that...

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks like a lovely book that I might enjoy quite a bit. I love that afghan you have laid out on the grass. You've peaked my interest in the CAL. I'll have to go check that out. Have a wonderful week.
    xx Beca

    ReplyDelete
  5. I speak knittish...how clever! Such pretty yarns in your basket. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your S of L blanket looks wonderful. Are you half done, too? I am about to start the second half - perhaps tonight after the kids' homework is done! ( by the way - that book looks lovely. I'll have to look it up!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good Afternoon Gilly, I adore you cable knitted throw, the pale lilac is gorgeous.... as is the range of beautiful wools you have arranged in your basket.
    What a fabulous name for a book Knit, Purl, Pray. I have read Eat, Pray, Love, so I will definitely have to read Knit, Purl, Pray as the cover is so pretty.... and with words like knittish, I'm certainly intrigued.
    Best wishes
    Daphne

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the pretty yarn you chose for the crochet along, I love seeing how everyone is making it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The photos are beautiful, looks like you had the perfect spot for a touch of hooky business! I am going to see if I can find out more about that book too. Thanks for sharing it with us! xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your yarn colours are so pretty together! That book sounds like a great read, I hope that you keep enjoying it. xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your blankie is looking great, Gilly. Love those colours. I had to laugh at Ben/Jerry and the ball. She reminds me of Nigel, the dog on Gardener's World, who seems to carry a tennis ball around all the time. I love to see him just drop it into Monty Don's wheelbarrow!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looking good Gilly. My blanket has similar colours but I have no plan as ever so it is ambling along. Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  13. That sounds like such a lovely book, and how nice that it was written by someone you know. I wonder, do you hear her voice when you're reading? I hope you're doing well and having a good week, Gilly.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am currently reading that book for a review, I was actually asked to do it and I was thrilled. I am enjoying it very much.
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  15. I hope to read the book soon, and am excited to know that Lisa is a friend of yours, Gilly. I love the colors in your crochet project and your faithful friend on guard :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. The book sounds lovely, and the perfect thing to read before sitting down to knit. I do love both the grey blanket on the ground, and the Spice of Life blanket you're working on! Gorgeous blending of colours there! I hope your pups didn't have to spend all their time looking pretty and waiting for you to throw the ball ;)
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete

Thank for popping by & saying hello!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...