Sunday 27 September 2015

Back to the making . . .

Well the holidays are over, and no more days away planned or visitors coming to stay, for a couple of weeks, so let's get back to the making shall we?

Autumn has well and truly arrived, and is putting on a splendidly sunny show this weekend, but there's a definite nip in the air.  Even indoors too because our boiler went on the blink last week and we found ourselves curled up in front of the fire, or huddled around the space heater.  I even hauled out the hot water bottles.  But the new boiler is now safely in situ and the temperature indoors restored to a cosy level once more  : - )

So with the changing of the season, it's time to start sorting through the WIP & Want-to-Make Lists, and hopefully get some lovely makes ticked off.   I haven't been entirely idle through the summer though AND I've even made a start to my (dare I say it ? ) Christmas makes . . .








So this year's Christmas quilt was a quick and simple make.  I bought the pretty panel and the ready-made sweet dotty binding at Sew Me Something, did some straight line quilting around the squares and hand-tied some pretty red glass beads on at the end.
 One Christmas quilt:  finished and ready for the festive season. Tick.


And whilst in the Christmas making mood, I whipped up a little wreath too.  I raided my box of scraps and selected a whole bunch of festive fabrics,



 
 then spent a fun afternoon making this:




 Every year I seem to end up rushing around madly trying to get decor and Christmas gifts made in time, so for once I'm going to try and be organized. 

 What d'you think ?  Too early ?  Or have you secretly made a start too ?
Pray do tell . . .

'til next time,
Happy making . . .

xoxo 





23 comments:

  1. I have to confess I have been making Christmas gifts for a few weeks now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just read your post, right after I'd published this one - and so pleased to know I'm not the only one! :-) xx

      Delete
  2. I started working on handmade gifts almost two weeks ago, so I'm right there with you. The quilt is gorgeous! Wow. I love the gray and red. Your wreath is very pretty too. I remember my mother and her friend making those in the eighties, it's nice to see they're coming back! I always liked them. Hope you're having a good weekend, Gill.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh goodie, another early bird too! Thanks Jennifer - and yes I'm happy that the scrappy wreaths are trendy again too :-) xx

      Delete
  3. I love the wreath! I think I will make one, as I have a lot of scraps of Christmas fabric left over. Are there any tutorials online to make one like yours? Lise

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done on the wreath and that gorgeous quilt. I am starting on scarves for Little Buddy's therapists and teachers, I hope to get them done well in advance.
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the red dotty binding! It finishes your quilt off beautifully! Your festive wreath is fun too! I haven't started anything for Christmas yet!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Absolutely lovely. Yes I have been doing things mostly on the food front but have a stack of little bits for pressies to work through. I don't know about you but I get a lot of pleasure out of the making of things for the celebration its the taking part and the doing thats the best bit. Look forward to your seeing your further makes. Pattypan x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the quilt and the wreath, Gilly. It's never too early to start making for Christmas. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven't made a start on Christmas yet but I surely am enjoying your lovely makes Gilly! Your little quilt is so sweet and I do love that wreath! Well done you! xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. I reported making Christmas ornaments with my granddaughters several post ago, so I have launched some pre-season efforts too, and admire very much what you have showed here...both pretty and clever ideas, Gilly. Thanks for posting! xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your quilt and wreath are beautiful. It's never to early to get ready for one of the busiest times of the year.
    Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Arghhhh! Nobody told me we were doing christmas again this year! That's a lovely quilt you whipped up!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Arghhhh! Nobody told me we were doing christmas again this year! That's a lovely quilt you whipped up!

    ReplyDelete
  13. The quilt doesn't loo simple it looks amazing. I love your wreath too. My scraps box had a sort out for a patchwork quilt so it doesn't look as colouful as yours now but had sewing a quilt is a slow but enjoyable process. Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my goodness, I just love your wreath! It's beautiful - and your quilt!!! I bought a lovely jellyroll called joyeux noel for my Christmas quilt and I think that I settled on a pattern this weekend, so now it's time to get the sewing machine out and into action.

    How kind of your boiler to give up the ghost now and not in the middle of winter LOL - one year ours died in December - brrr!

    Have a great week Gilly.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lovely Christmas makes. I do love your quilt, that's so pretty. I don't think it's ever too early to start on Christmas crafting.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love your Christmas wreath and quilt. I keep meaning to start on Christmas makes but haven't done so yet. Which probably means a panic session at some stage.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a beautuful wreath !!L.....yes Christmas is comming .....we started in oktober with our shop....lovely week love from je Ria x

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh, the wreath is gorgeous! As for the quilt - super gorgeous.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  19. You have made a very good start with your Christmas makes, love the quilt, and your wreath.
    Caz xx

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love love love it all! You make me feel all festive! Cx

    ReplyDelete
  21. Look at you go! I thought I was advanced because I started my Christmas quilt 2 weeks ago. I see you've beaten me to the end already!! Love that wreath too. What a perfect way to use of scraps!

    ReplyDelete

Thank for popping by & saying hello!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...