Wednesday 22 April 2015

Back to the making . . .

So it seems I'm not alone in my lack of gardening aptitude.
Thanks for all your lovely encouraging and supportive comments on my last post,  and I think I shall just continue to attempt to keep the weeds at bay and resign myself to the fact that whilst our garden will never be perfect, it will always be perfect for us. 


Right, now let's get back to the making shall we ?

I've always wanted to be able to make trousers, but somehow had convinced myself that my sewing abilities weren't quite up to that standard.   So the only "bottoms" I'd managed to make were the easy-peasy PJs  (and so much fun were they, that I made 3 pairs one after the other).

Then along came the Great British Sewing Bee, and the task in week one was to make a pair of simple cotton cropped Capri pants - a style I love and wear a lot in the warmer seasons.




After the show, came the GBSB book, complete with the full-size pattern.



 Then very shortly thereafter that,  my talented-sewing-friend-and-fellow-blogger Jo from Three Stories High posted all about her foray into sewing these trousers




So these three things collaborated to encourage, and before I knew it, I'd traced off the pattern, raided my fabric stash, threaded my machine and started sewing.

And I have to say, I'm pretty chuffed. 
They're light & comfy & fit just perfectly.

Thus it came to be that my self-perceived lack of ability dissipated . . . just like that.  There'll be no stopping me now.

So, I'll leave you with this:   
Don't ever doubt your ability, just give it a go.  Chances are you can.

Ooh, and I also made a top . . . 


. . . but more about that next time.

'til then,
be happy & be brave
xoxo



22 comments:

  1. love, love, love the top, that fabric is just so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that top wow it grogeous as are the trousers my sewing machine still fightens me
    Clare x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cordelia madame? Oh now you are just too clever - I might just have to go and look at my fabric a bit more! Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, very impressive, love both the top and the trousers but the fabric for the top is a real delight.

    ReplyDelete
  5. what a great top and really like the trousersxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. The trousers look great, Gilly. I love the heffalump fabric! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your trousers look great, Gilly. I love the top too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dearest darling lady G !
    I love your trews!
    D aka A xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well, go you, as they say in my adopted country! What a clever girl. It's true, we are our own worst enemies at talking ourselves out of trying things! Look forward to LOTS more!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations on having a go at something you didn't think you could do. Your trouser look very comfortable and your elephant top just gorgeous. Love that fabric.
    Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Both items are beautiful. I'm seriously tempted to get back into sewing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gorgeous both! You have made it sound so easy, It's made me want to try. Love, love, love that elephant fabric! Julie x

    ReplyDelete
  13. They are fabulous, did you get on OK with the invisible side zip? I wear mine quite a bit for work, they are really useful. Is that the cordelia top I spy.... Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow these are fab! I really love the top. I too have been meaning to start sewing but have been to scared to attempt much. Every day saying I'll start it tomorrow. Hopefully that day will come soon.
    Rosie xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great advice! You never know what you can do until you've tried. Love your new makes - well done.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is very inspiring - I've never made anything but elasticated waist ones either so may have a go at something a bit more ambitious. Flowery print trousers are very 'in' this year too. Thanks for giving us ideas. Judy.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love your trousers - and also envy those who can wear cropped trousers, as my legs are too short and they don't look right on me! Your top is super, fabulous fabric and I really like the shape.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love both of these! Very nice. You have such lovely, slim legs, these pants really look great on you!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your Capri pants are perfect! I am in awe. There is no stopping you as I see many, many more in your future. The top is also wonderful. I don't doubt your sewing ability, but I sure doubt mine!
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  20. Good Afternoon Gilly, Your trousers are fabulous. I am a great fan of the GBSB and watched every episode. The thing I love about the programme is that it encourages us to take out our needle and thread.... and sewing machine of course.... and have a go. I used to make all my daughters clothes and also my evening gowns, but with work and teenage daughters there was never the time.... but now I have the time and like you I am sewing.
    It is said that it is more the fear of doing something that stops us, not our ability.... and look at your ability, your top is fabulous.
    Carry on sewing.
    Best Wishes
    Daphne

    ReplyDelete
  21. Nice pants, cute style :)

    http://sbr-fashion-fashion.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Thank for popping by & saying hello!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...