Sunday 1 February 2015

The story of a quilt . . .

So here's how the story goes . . . :  

Way back in 2012 the lovely Lori from A Bee in My Bonnet decided to host a Quilty Row Along, and being a fairly recent convert to the delight of making quilts, I thought I'd join in and learn some useful hints & techniques.  And in the process, make a fun new quilt.


Look left, look right . . . all clear, take my pic quick before the other one gets here . . .


Every 2nd week Lori published a clear and precise tutorial for each new row and over the course of the Row Along, we made flying geese and sweet little houses, and mugs, and apples, and stars, and butterflies, and a myriad of other fun things.  And I learned a HUGE amount. 
It was fun to see everyone else's quilts take shape too, and we ooh-ed & aah-ed over each other's pretty fabrics.  I tried to keep up and despite a few hiccups involving a seam ripper along the way, I thoroughly enjoyed the whole process.  (Thank you, lovely Lori)
Right, quilt top finished  - all I had to do was back, quilt and bind it.  
Shouldn't take me too long . . .


Take my pic too please . . .


But alas, this poor quilt languished about in the WIP pile for a  l.o.o.o.n.g  time. 
 Then one day, I pulled it out and basted it.  Then returned it to the pile whilst I contemplated the best way to quilt it.
[You are probably in grave danger of completely losing interest here, and wishing that I'd just get on with it - so I shall favour brevity and bring this story to its happy conclusion.]

Fast forward to 2015 and as part of my quest to finish as many WIPs as possible by the end of January, I hauled this quilt out yesterday and set about quilting and binding it.  



 
So there you go . . . it only took two & a half years, but it's done.  

Phew . . .

The End.


'til next time,
xoxo

 

32 comments:

  1. It was well worth the wait, your quilt is beautiful.
    Ali xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking at it. It was worth the wait. So beautiful.
    Rosezeeta.

    ReplyDelete
  3. HI, I am new to your blog, love your labs, so precious! I have two black labs...love them so much. Funny thing, I also have this same row quilt still in rows in my WIP basket! LOL! Yours is gorgeous! I have made this year my finish it up year too, of course I am still joining QAL's here and there, I have to REALLY like them to start them. I have a blog also...www.quiltingwithcalicos.blogspot.com Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Gilly, Your quilt is beautiful. I just love the fabrics you have used. They are so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sadly, my top is also still lingering in my UFO pile waiting to be quilted. I just can't decide how to quilt it. Did you quilt horizontal lines between rows? I hadn't thought of that. It is gorgeous! congratulations on a beautiful finish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tracy, and yes it's very simple quilting - just straight lines on the horizontal rows in between :-)
      xx

      Delete
  6. Such a fantastic quilt. Reminds me of the rows I have in a box.....not finished yet.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow!
    Well it was certainly worth the wait! It's really beautiful Gilly, you must be so thrilled with it. I've never done any quilting, can't get my head round it at all!
    Jillxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's gorgeous, Gilly. As are Ben and Jerry! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's B-E-A-U-T-I-F-U-L Gilly! Well done for getting it finished x Jane

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a beautiful quilt - just LOVE all the fabric colors you used in it. I too have to quilt mine and have been putting it off. Thank you for showing yours.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your quilt is fabulous! I love the colors you used...they are like ice cream...I just want to eat them up! The boys are looking adorable. XO

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ah lovely Gilly - it's a beautiful quilt and the thing is, you worked on it when you felt in the mood to work on it and in my book that's great .... all good loving energies in there! Enjoy it, it really is gorgeous with its happy range of shapes and colours! A big gold star for you xoJoy

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ha, ha, 2 and a half years is nothing - I took 8 years over my last one! Glad you finished it at last though - love your fabrics, so pretty. x

    ReplyDelete
  14. It looks beautiful. Love the colours you have used. xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is so pretty, I am glad you finished it. I rather wish I had joined in on this project now. x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful! I have never made anything so complicated in my life. xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Well worth the wait I think - it's beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  18. It may have taken longer than you might have expected but now you can cuddle under an awesome triumphant achievement! Its very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your lovely quilt adds a dash of sunshine to your wintry landscape. 'Tis so pretty. Well done on another finish, Gilly. You certainly are a gal on a mission!

    ReplyDelete
  20. The quilt is really beautiful. It's great to gewt things finished, isn't it? I'm in a 'get everything finished' frame of mind though I still start something new.

    ReplyDelete
  21. It's a very pretty quilt - well worth the wait! Although two and a half years isn't really that long - I would be very embarrassed to admit how long some of my quilt tops have been waiting ti be quilted!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. The quilt is wonderful I am so glad you finished it.
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  23. It may have been a long wait for the finish, but certainly worth it. A truly beautiful creation.

    ReplyDelete
  24. It's so pretty! I'm glad you were inspired to finish it up. I really like the colors in it, very fresh. Your dog is so cute! She makes a very good spokesmodel for your quilt. :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. That is pretty inspiring as I am done putting my quilt top together and now need to muster up some courage to baste, quilt and bind it. Gonna find time to do some of it this week now I have seen your fab creation . Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  26. Well done. It looks gorgeous. Mine is didn't get past about Row 4 :-(

    ReplyDelete
  27. Sorry,I was so busy looking at those two adorable pups,right yes, the quilt is truly STUNNING,well worth the work and time to make it well done you.Love those doggies lol.xx

    ReplyDelete
  28. Your quilt is beautiful! I'm just about to jump into quilting - bought my ruler and rotary cutter yesterday and looking for a small beginners project to start today. And maybe by the ned of this year I will feel ready to start something like yours.

    ReplyDelete

Thank for popping by & saying hello!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...