Thursday 23 October 2014

The holiday project . . .

Things were a bit busy around here with just one day in between getting home from The Knitting & Stitching show in London, and getting on a plane heading for Venice, but being a fairly seasoned traveller, I knew it wouldn't take me long to get the suitcases sorted.    What I hadn't thought about however, was what to take along as my holiday project.  Now, I don't know about you, but in my world, a holiday crafty project is de riguer .  Like other travellers and their American Express cards, I just don't leave home without it. 

So what's a gal to do ?
A quick rifle through my yarn basket revealed several half-done WIPs . . .


The pretty lacy Louisa Harding Noema poncho ?  Nope - the lacy pattern in the round requires too much concentration.  Not suitable for picking up & putting down at short notice.



The latest addition to Edward's Menagerie, Bridget the sweet elephant ?  Nope again - despite being an easy one, the various elephant body parts require to be stuffed as you go along, and taking a bag of toy stuffing with me on holiday didn't seem like an option.




The Wingspan shawl pattern & yarn that a lovely friend gave me for my birthday ?  Another one that will require a bit of attention, so it's a no for now too.



How about the yummy Plump yarn & scarf pattern from Mrs Moon that I bought when we were in London in the summer, and have been dying to get stuck into?  Another nope - just way too chunky & bulky (albeit delicious) to stuff into my bag.




Or something warm & wintery made up in the chunky Debbie Bliss Roma yarn that was on sale at Tangled Yarn, way too much of a bargain not to buy and add to my stash for a rainy day ?

Sigh . . . some inspiration was needed . . .

Why, oh why had I not thought of this earlier ?
And then, in the ultimate ta-dah moment, it came to me . . . the perfect holiday yarny project . . . a simple stripy buggy blankie for the latest little addition to our clan, born a wee bit ahead of schedule, just days before.  So with pattern in hand and postcode in SatNav, I headed out to nearby Bournville (yes, not only famous for its chocolate &  home to Cadbury World, but also the location of the lovely City Knits yarn shop that I'd been meaning to visit for ages.  The lovely, friendly ladies were very patient as I humm-ed & haa-ed over all the pretty colours, eventually deciding on the Debbie Bliss Rialto yarn, which would go nicely-thank-you with the Rooster Almerino already in my stash.


So, that was that.  Phew . . .





It's a great easy pattern from Nicki Trench's book " Crocheted Baby Clothes" -  I do so love her books which are always full of fabulous project ideas.




Needless to say, we had a lovely holiday with just perfect weather and smooth sailing so I didn't really get as much crochet done as I'd anticipated, but I made a good start and hopefully I'll get it finished soon. 
And then I really must tackle the rest of those above-mentioned WIPs too  ; - )




And as I'm linking up today with Ginny's Yarn Along over at Small Things, I should tell you my latest reads too:  The Rosie Project by Graeme Simsion and Good Morning, Mr Mandela by Zelda la Grange - both of which I thoroughly enjoyed and highly recommend.

Do pop over and have a wee peek at what everyone else is making & reading too.  I'm laid low this week with a sore throat, snuffly cold & a very croaky voice, so I'm off back to snuggle under the blankie on the sofa & have some yummy hot chicken soup for lunch. But it's good to be back, and I'm looking forward to catching up with you soon.


'til next time,
xoxo







24 comments:

  1. What beautiful colours. I've used Rialto aran in the past, it's so squishy so it'll be perfect for the little one to cosy up in. You've got some fabulous projects on the go, if only there were more hours in the day so that we had more knitty and hooky time. Glad you had a lovely holiday and hope you're feeling much better very soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome back! The water looks mesmerizing and I am glad you had a good vacation. The colors you chose for the blanket are gorgeous. How do you like working with Debbie Bliss yarn? I have yet to try it.

    Hope you feel better soon,
    Birgitta xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have some lovely scrumptious yarns there!! Such pretty colors, and look so soft and cozy!! Glad you had a good holiday, and hope you feel better soon!! xo Holly

    ReplyDelete
  4. So have you quite finished gallivanting all over the place for the moment!! You have some nice things in your stash, it would be hard to choose. Looking forward to seeing some.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope you feel better soon. I have two balls of Rialto that I got in a swap and I've never tried them but it looks like very nice yarn. I like the look of your WIPs!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your blanket is looking lovely. The colours are very pretty, Gilly.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad you're back, Gilly, and that you had a great time. Sorry you've got a cold - isn't that always the way when you come back from a holiday? Your baby blankie looks gorgeous! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Some lovely WIP's there. "Tis a hard life you have there, cruising around somewhere near Venice...but I'm guessing someone has to do it! Your buggy blankie is very sweet; love the colours and the wool looks so soft.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh My!!! I do love all those WIP's as well as your well chosen take along crochet project. I love the colors you chose to work with... wow, a cruise! I hate to admit it but have never been on a cruise! Oh well, perhaps one day...
    Hugs always,
    Beth P

    ReplyDelete
  10. So glad you had a good break away and hope you are feeling better soon. The blanket is a real delight love the colours.

    ReplyDelete
  11. All your wips are looking lovely! I have the same problem whenever we go away, I can get a suitcase packed in no time at all but it takes me ages to decide on a project to take with me :) Your baby blanket is really pretty and the yarn is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sigh. You do have the most beautiful yarn in the U.K. We can get it here downunder but it's horribly expensive.
    Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. it looks to me like you got a lot done! I always take a few craft projects on holiday with me and don't usually get as much done as I think I'm going to. I love your choice of yarn, it's going to be lovely. Hope you had a lovely holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love all your many projects, so many lovely yarns. Love the baby afghan, the colors are so soothing and the book looks so full of fun!
    xoRobin Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I enjoyed looking at all your projects, although my attention was momentarily distracted by the words chocolate and Cadbury :) Your baby blanket is very pretty, love that yarn!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Gilly! You and I have both been flying about over the last month! Belated Happy Birthday greetings! Your celebrations have been lovely, but now that you are snug at home once more I hope you are able to throw off your illness and continue to enjoy your various pretty projects. I love the colors you chose for the baby blanket. While traveling I just carried the makings for dishcloths and actually managed to finish one...almost two :-) Your baby blanket is much more ambitious and is sure to be treasured by the one who receives it. [thanks for the ocean views, too. I never tire of seeing the sea :)]

    ReplyDelete
  17. Just popped over from Gracie's blog to see what you are knitting and crocheting. LOVE that blankie! I'm working on one too for our new little grand girl.

    ReplyDelete
  18. First you woo us with all of your beautiful yarn and then you show us that gorgeous place to sit and crochet on your trip. It sounds like a perfect time away from home.
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  19. I think your decision was right in the end. Love the colours for the blanket which is coming along well and looks gorgeous. Hope you feel better soon. P x

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love the baby blanket. Hope the holiday was great

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your wee blanket is looking gorgeous! I have that book and I agree, so many beautiful projects! Have a great week.
    Marianne x

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a pretty blanket.

    I do hope you're feeling better now.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hello Gilly, its Sue from crafts at home, your cracker swap partner... What a beautiful blog you have, I'm looking forward to this swap, my first this year! My email is Susan.trevor@gewgawsdotcodotuk if you would like to email me your address :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank for popping by & saying hello!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...