Sunday 31 August 2014

Some sewing firsts . . .

Last week we had a Bank Holiday here and in keeping with English tradition, it absolutely tipped it down with rain ALL day.  So what better excuse to stay cosied up indoors (yes, I will admit: we turned the central heating on) and do some sewing ?

I just couldn't resist this lovely knit fabric when it arrived at Sew Me Something.  It's part of the Indelible collection  from Art Gallery and it comes in cotton too.   But I've been wanting to learn to sew with knits for ages, and I thought the design on this fabric would be just perfect for a maxi skirt. 


I didn't have a pattern, but the design was quite simple with an elasticated waistband.  I very rarely  tuck tops in anyway, so the wide elastic works absolutely fine for me.   I basically followed this tutorial here (although it took me a lot longer than 5 minutes !)

So despite this being my first ever time sewing with a knit fabric, my trusty overlocker (serger) did the trick and I'm really happy with how it turned out.


It was also my first time using a twin needle,  so I had to practise that a bit first but it was actually fairly simple & does give the waistband & hem a really nice neat finish and now I can't wait to use it again on my next knitty project.

Oh, and don't you think my new skirt goes just perfectly with the wedges that my 
lovely sis gave me ?


Now I just need summer to stick around for a wee while longer so I can wear them  : - )

Happy Sunday out there . . .
'til next time,
xoxo



23 comments:

  1. Now Gilly how long did it take for you to get those handsome pooches to pose so beautifully?! Love the skirt (and I think they do too!) Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the skirt and the wedges are a perfect match. Those dogs are a delight, simply beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gilly, you're seriously amazing! I mean that, if you want new clothes, you just whip them up!
    You inspire me!
    Have a great week ahead!
    Tammy x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw you say the sweetest things, and thanks for your card too :-) xx

      Delete
  4. You're so talented. I love that fabric and the skirt looks like a beautiful shape and design.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would say 2014 has been my year of stretch and jersey, it has taken me a while, two broken twin needles and lots of learning, the purchase of an overlocker, but I feel comfortable with it now. I think that is a brilliant outfit and way to go with those shoes. Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh your skirt looks lovely and very neat! And even better to have shoes to match!x

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks fabulous, Gilly. Well done you! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your skirt is so beautiful! Gorgeous fabric and matches your new shoes perfectly as well.
    Marianne x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your skirt is so great! I love the fabric, and yes, it does look lovely with the lovely shoes from your sister!! I hope that you get to wear it lots. xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. A lovely first effort, Gilly! I hope the weather cooperates so you can enjoy wearing it now. xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's a stunning skirt, beautiful print:) Will look good with boots in winter too:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, good suggestion! Thanks Vicky, I'll need to haul out my winter boots and get them polished :-) xx

      Delete
  12. Super skirt - I love the material. Another great make!
    Caz xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your skirt is so pretty, you also ways make lovely things.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Well done with your knit fabric sewing. Your skirt is lovely and the whole outfit, shoes included, very , very nice.
    Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. eep that's so pretty Gilly! Gosh you are so good at this :) Hazel x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Gorgeous Gilly! I love your skirt. The fabric is lush ... Bee xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful outfit, the fabric is so pretty. Deb x

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love the skirt! It's so pretty :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. lovely skirt....you have quite the mad skills!

    ReplyDelete

Thank for popping by & saying hello!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...